Login Register

Kingsbury man who caused £15,000 worth of damage in drunk rampage remanded in custody

By Tamworth Herald  |  Posted: March 15, 2017

Colin Sheach, who caused £15,000 worth of damage at Kingsbury Church, has been remanded in custody.

Colin Sheach, who caused £15,000 worth of damage at Kingsbury Church, has been remanded in custody.

Comments (0)

A MAN who caused £15,000 worth of damage to Kingsbury Church during a drunken rampage has been remanded in custody after failing to keep an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Armed police had to use stun grenades and then Taser Colin Sheach before he could be arrested in the Norman church in December last year.

He had been due to be sentenced at Warwick Crown Court today (Wednesday) after pleading guilty to causing criminal damage to St Peter and St Paul Church.

Sheach (49) of The Green, Kingsbury, also admitted assaulting a police officer who was struck by a picture frame thrown through a window during his wrecking spree.

The charges follow an incident when Sheach barricaded himself in the church on December 29, hurling religious artefacts at police officers who tried to gain entry.

He smashed a door and windows at the listed church, threw a chair and nativity figures through a window, and damaged a Mothers Union banner.

Police who first attended had to withdraw after one of them was hit on the head by a picture frame thrown through the window, causing a cut to his forehead.

Armed officers eventually had to attend and threw stun grenades into the church before rushing in and restraining Sheach after using a Taser on him.

He had been due to be sentenced earlier this year, but on that occasion the case had been adjourned for pre-sentence and psychiatric reports to be prepared on Sheach.

But at the resumed hearing David Murray, defending, said that although there was a pre-sentence report, Sheach had twice failed to attend appointments with a psychiatrist.

Mr Murray explained: "The first was that he had health problems and could not get to the appointment.

"The second was because he was reliant on an uncle who was going to drive him there, but on that morning the uncle suffered a stroke, and he couldn't get there."

Unimpressed, Recorder Stephen Linehan QC commented: "Has he not heard of a bus? What has he done about it between failing to keep the appointment and now?"

Mr Murray said that on Sunday, Sheach had self-harmed, and was taken by the police to the Caludon Centre psychiatric unit in Coventry where he was admitted under the provisions of a mentally disordered person in a public place.

Despite the lack of a psychiatric report, he submitted that Sheach could still be sentenced, given a recommendation in the pre-sentence report of a community order.

But Recorder Linehan responded: "This man caused £15,000 worth of damage in a church and injured a police officer. To control him they had to use two stun grenades and a Taser.

"I am not just sending him out into the community. He was on a community order at the time."

And, adjourning the case for the psychiatric report to be prepared, he rejected an application by Mr Murray for Sheach to be granted bail.

Remanding him in custody, Recorder Linehan told Sheach: "You did not get to the doctor's. You have not made a proper effort to do that, and you were already subject to a court order when you committed these offences.

"You caused a huge amount of damage to a church, and you injured a police officer.

"I am satisfied that if I released you on bail, there would be a serious risk of you failing to attend the appointment, and of you failing to attend court."

Read more from Tamworth Herald

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters


Hot Jobs